Saturday, July 14, 2012

Thoughts on independence for independent musicians

Today is Independence Day in the United States, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to write a few things on being independent.

There is obviously an element of independence is linked to laundering. If you are not able to exist financially the way you want without the help of someone else, do not. But today I'm writing something more.

People who are independent think differently from those who are not. People who are independent, may give a nod to what others think, but do not let these things control them.

He was working with a guy very successful a couple of years ago and he said: "The biggest problem I've had since I became a 'success' is that the friends I had before I was doing well can not enjoy with a me. For one, do not have money, but most of them do not even have the flexibility in programming because they are all working for someone else and not have the time. "

Cares? Yes Has enough attention so that prevented him from doing what should he do? No.

I lived in Mississippi for a few years after college. It was a small city of about 15,000 people and what surprised me most was that about almost everyone who lived there had been born there and almost none of them left.

This was because they were stupid? No. In fact, some of the people I met while I was there are among the smartest people I ever met.

Perhaps because they had money? While I'm sure this has a role in stuck around because I do not think it was the real problem. If someone wants to do something, they will do whatever their financial situation ... people could find the money necessary, if we really wanted to do something.

I think they never left Mississippi because of reports that were there.

People who are truly independent no hang-ups leave behind people who do not share their same beliefs. And unless you're already in a community of successful people, this must happen if you really want to move forward.

Kathode Ray Music is 10 years this month. At that time, I worked with thousands of musicians and bands. The main thing keeping them back is that they be held back by what others think. These guys may be ready as individuals, but they are around with people who are not ready ... and those that are not always ready to pull down those who are.

This means that when you are ready to move forward with your next level of success of commercial music, you must cut down people who are not.

If you're in a band with people who are comfortable where they are and want to get on with things, quit and go on your own.

If you're married to someone that you feel your time is better spent in a job that I hate to do what you really like and I know you can do, get a divorce.

You see where I'm going ... and yes, I'm deadly serious about getting a divorce if necessary. Serious business requires serious intervention. It takes an intense effort every day to have done what is necessary and you can not have someone holding you ... even if it is a spouse.

I hope you guys have a great Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment